Sunday, July 17, 2011

Week 28 : Finding my Niche

A friend of mine is an antique dealer and quite often he finds old photographs while dumpster diving.  I was at his house once, after he found a huge stash of pictures and went home sullen.  As someone who enjoys...no wait, LOVES taking photos and saves even the bad shots, I was crushed to come to the realization that someday my beloved snaps are going to be some distant family members trash.

Not long after that visit I stopped developing my photos.  I got myself a digital photo frame and when ever I come across old pictures on the ground at a flea market, anywhere I take as many as I can.  They must have been important to someone at some point.  

I love making beautiful things from these pics so that maybe someone new can appreciate someone long gone...wow this is all sounding really hokey, but truthful it makes me really sad.

So on to this weeks painting and how I think I found my niche...

I'm constantly hunting on flickr for new sources of inspiration, whether it's for my vintage fabric paintings or vintage nudes and portraits.  This week's painting is inspired by a photograph I found when I did a search for men of the 60's.  The pic was titled "My Dad 1968".  I fell in love with the photo as soon as I saw it and I love colourizing old black and white snaps.

I am pretty sure this is my thing...
I'm pretty sure this is a good way of giving new life to an old picture...
I'm interested in seeing your old photos, if you want to share send them to me

This is my painting for the week in time lapse


Cool eh?

Here's the finished product.
It's my new favourite!  





Until next week...

1 comment:

  1. Very cool! I like the time lapse video of the process, a great touch.

    ReplyDelete