Sunday, September 4, 2011

Week 34: Screen Printing & Shameless Pluggingting

This week I had so much fun!

At the end of last week I said to my boys that I need a change. I've sorta had enough of painting for a bit and was welcome to any ideas.  Luther said I could use his silk screen and make some prints and I instantly got excited!

I did some research on the how-to's of silk screen which made me instantly frustrated because we don't have a light table and blah blah blah...

Anyway, I found this really cool and informative video on youtube produced by the people at etsy

 

It really helped!

Then Luther told me that he had this fancy stuff that I could use to just paint the image onto the screen and completely bypass the entire photo emulsion thingy.  That made my life a hell of a lot easier!


I found an image I liked, (an old photo I took of my brother), and off I went!
 

 I was so impressed with how quick and easy this was and I think the results are pretty awesome!


I'm pretty sure I could get addicted to this!
 





I found that the more careless I was with lining up the shadow and highlights the happier I was.  Then I started playing around with multiple colours in a single layer and moving the images off completely.


The next four images are my favourites!  I'm sure a "real" screen printer would find a million things wrong with them...and I'm not totally sure that my family aren't just humouring me when they nod their heads in agreement, but I think they are neato and I'm EAGER to try screen printing again!






 and my favourite..


So here is where I usually write, "until next week", but I'm not done yet!  I bet you're wondering how on earth could there be more?  Joey has a job, a family, a dog, 2 cats, 4 fish...how does she have the time?

Well folks I have to make the time, because my favourite, worlds bestest, most funnest and awesome craft show is this coming Saturday!

THE JAMES STREET NORTH 



So this week I've been crafting my patootie off!

I crafted some bookmarks made from old photographs and vintage mat board.  Each bookmark has a quote about reading on the back, usually from someone long dead and a great deal more poetic than myself!

I've made these before and people really seem to love them.  Each is a one of a kind and great to stick in a book that you're gifting to a loved one!



I also hijacked my son's button press to make some new buttons. My favourite are the ones with real pressed flowers in them!


I made some glass bead pendants
 

And the thing I love crafting most off all are these vintage button rings!

I love how much work went into creating these buttons!  It's hard to find things as beautiful now a day...you'd have to go to a craft show or something...kinda like the one I'll  be at this Saturday from 2pm-11pm! ;)
 





I hope to see some familiar faces there! 
My goal is to make enough money to buy something I've been longing for...coveting at Best Buy every time I go in!
Cross your fingers for me!
And maybe next week my pictures will look a whole lot better 'cause I will have taken them with this...
 



oh ya!!

Until next week...
Man that was a long blog post!
Did you make it all the way to the end?
I barely did!

No comments:

Post a Comment